About this blog

I decided to write this blog because I have been trying to find information about strokes and how it affects the family rather than just the person who had the stroke. Most of the stuff I found was just support groups and how family can help the patient. I didn't find many personal stories of how it affected the family as a whole, and didn't find any blogs about the carers. Usually, the focus is on the person who has had the stroke, but those who are directly involved in their care, are misrepresented. And so - Who cares for the carers? was launched. I have crammed the first month into a few posts since we are only a month into his recovery, but once I am up to date, I will update any time there is anything to tell. I would love to hear from anyone in a similar situation, or even if reading this blog has hit a chord or helped anyone, then my job will be done. It is also therapy for me to be able to write what's on my mind. The road to recovery is a long one, both for the sufferer and their families.

Sunday 14 June 2009

Monday 11th May 2009

And so. The day of the results finally arrived. It wasn't a TIA. It was a stroke. And when we went to visit, he had been moved to the stroke ward. It sounds strange, but having a definite answer brings relief. Beforehand I wanted them to say anything BUT a stroke, but knowing what it is means they can start treating him. His arm was starting to get more and more use back, and I started to think that maybe, just maybe, he would fully recover. It was the first day I felt really positive. Of course he had a nurses station right next to his bed, as all the wards on the stroke ward have their own nurses station. Can we say a happy man? He always has been a flirt, and it's never bothered me, we are secure enough that we can both have 'eye candy' without needing to worry, albeit, ours are both famous people, so not exactly a threat, but I digress. He is a flirt, and I think having a laugh with the nurses helped him some. Being on that ward opened my eyes, some of the people were in a vegetative state, and while not really a place to take the kids ( the people in this ward were much worse than the previous ward he had been in) I had no choice. It wasn't for the kids benefit, or mine really, although of course the kids missed him, and I wanted to see him, but I thought it was important that he see the kids, give him something to get strong for.

No comments:

Post a Comment