About this blog

I decided to write this blog because I have been trying to find information about strokes and how it affects the family rather than just the person who had the stroke. Most of the stuff I found was just support groups and how family can help the patient. I didn't find many personal stories of how it affected the family as a whole, and didn't find any blogs about the carers. Usually, the focus is on the person who has had the stroke, but those who are directly involved in their care, are misrepresented. And so - Who cares for the carers? was launched. I have crammed the first month into a few posts since we are only a month into his recovery, but once I am up to date, I will update any time there is anything to tell. I would love to hear from anyone in a similar situation, or even if reading this blog has hit a chord or helped anyone, then my job will be done. It is also therapy for me to be able to write what's on my mind. The road to recovery is a long one, both for the sufferer and their families.

Sunday 14 June 2009

9th may 2009

At 6.30am I got a call from my brother who had seen my status on facebook and wanted to know what was going on, So after filling him in, I started the tedious task of informing all the relatives, both his and mine. His sister offered to have the girls for the day, so I would only have James, which took a lot of the pressure off. And so me and my boy headed off to the high dependency ward at Queen Margaret hospital.

I wasn't prepared for what I saw when I got there. I'm not even sure what I expected, but whatever it was, THAT wasn't it. From the texts he'd been sending, he seemed chirpy, and joking around about getting breakfast in bed. But the man in that bed wasn't my fiance. Of course it was, but only a shadow of the man that normally drives me to distraction. His arm sat limply on his lap, much worse than it had been when he had left me just a few hours before, his face was droopy on one side, and he was still having trouble getting the words out. The tests had been done, but we were still waiting for the results. I could see that it was frustrating him, and it frustrated me that I couldn't do anything about it. But I did what I always do when things land on top of me, and I went into auto pilot. We stayed a while, then I had to get James back so that his niece could bring the girls back. We still knew nothing, and Now I was even more frustrated, because I thought we might have gotten some answers. And of course, the children didn't want to go to bed, and were pushing every button I have, I eventually got them to bed by 9.30pm, and then I had to start the housework.

No comments:

Post a Comment