About this blog

I decided to write this blog because I have been trying to find information about strokes and how it affects the family rather than just the person who had the stroke. Most of the stuff I found was just support groups and how family can help the patient. I didn't find many personal stories of how it affected the family as a whole, and didn't find any blogs about the carers. Usually, the focus is on the person who has had the stroke, but those who are directly involved in their care, are misrepresented. And so - Who cares for the carers? was launched. I have crammed the first month into a few posts since we are only a month into his recovery, but once I am up to date, I will update any time there is anything to tell. I would love to hear from anyone in a similar situation, or even if reading this blog has hit a chord or helped anyone, then my job will be done. It is also therapy for me to be able to write what's on my mind. The road to recovery is a long one, both for the sufferer and their families.

Tuesday 16 June 2009

Help in the most unexpected form

Usually you'd expect help from those closest to you, friends, family, maybe even your work place. But the place that has really jumped up and stood by us, and bent over backwards to help us, has been Kimi's nursery school. I've always been impressed with Kimi's school, she absolutely loves it there, can't wait to go every day, and if she's happy, then I'm happy. The teachers are amazing, and always keep you in the loop and discuss any issues they have with you, and come to an agreement. Not that Kimi's ever been in trouble, but you know, random stuff.

Well just after Walt had his stroke, I was having to pull Kimi out of school early every day, because visiting times at the hospital were from 3-4pm and she goes to school from 12.45-3.15pm and the hospital was half an hour away. So I had been picking her up at 2.30pm every day until he came home, and I had obviously explained the situation to the school who were fine with it all. The head teacher had called me aside and told me that if it would help, that JJ could start on her birthday (september) instead of January [she would normally miss the cut off for a september start] Which I thought was great. Then I got told that she could start in August because they are starting a pilot scheme for 2 year olds, and she could start there, then join the bigger room after the first couple weeks. The pilot scheme isn't for every 2 year old yet, only those who meet a criteria, and JJ would be put forward as a special case. Then I got told that James might be able to start in January because he'll be 2 in October, and because of his prematurity (he was 7 weeks early) and development and speech delays, he would qualify too. All to make things easier for us because the head teacher was also a carer for her own husband and she told me that she found it hard work, and she didn't have 3 young kids too.

Kimi's school are doing a trip to a safari park in july, and I had told them that I might not be able to go (all kids have to be accompanied by a parent/relative) because of everything going on, and they had tole me that because of our circumstances, that they would send the school nurse with Kimi so she didn't miss out. Last week I decided that I would try to go, and told the asst. head that I would like to go with her, but have to see whether I could get the money together for my ticket. It's only £9, but christ, £9 seems an awful lot of money when you don't have it. Well that day when I went to pick Kimi up from school, the head called me into her office. I was thinking "what's she done!" but when I got there the head told me that I WAS going and so was JJ, and she didn't want any money!

It's funny, there seems to be more support from the 'unexpected sources' than the people I 'thought' would help.

I love her school so much, I just hope we can find another house within the catchment area. But that's another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment